Logistics and Supply Chain Management Education and Research in Germany
Kuehne Logistics University (Wissenschaftliche Hochschule für Logistik und Unternehmensführung - THE KLU) is a private, independent and state-recognized university. THE KLU is dedicated to teaching and research of logistics as a core element of globally organized management. THE KLU is located in the heart of Europe’s largest urban development project, the waterside HafenCity in Hamburg. Hamburg, as the world’s ninth-largest seaport, is an important logistics center.
The KLU's two departments, Logistics and Management & Economics, cover the whole spectrum of university education and executive education, from the Bachelor’s degrees and Master programs to a structured PhD program. Research encompasses logistics areas such as maritime logistics, supply chain management and operations management with a focus on sustainability.
- MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management: Master Logistics and Supply Chain Management lays the foundation for your rise into a top executive position, combining the themes logistics and supply chain management, management and leadership in a unique way. The master program is taught in English.
- Executive MBA Global Logistics Management: The Executive MBA Global Logistics Management is geared towards professionally experienced managers. The application-orientated degree course with logistics specialization, in combination with leadership skills training, is the ideal prerequisite for successful development in executive positions and expanding one’s own area of responsibility.
- PhD in Logistics: THE KLU is seeking highly talented candidates who want to pursue an academic career and are interested in doing research. THE KLU will screen every applicant to identify suitable candidates’ unique talents. In accordance with international standards and practices, the program is composed of four years.
- Course Series - Logistics Trends and Innovations: The day forums in the portfolio pick up on current developments and industry trends ranging from breakthrough technologies, strategies for future markets and CO2-optimized transport chains amongst other hot topics.
- Seminar Series - International Supply Chain Excellence: The seminar series, International Supply Chain Excellence, covers fundamental topics of logistics management. Of the 15 individual seminars, two basic seminars are offered in Supply Chain Management and Supply Chain Strategies. Some of the seminars may be recognized as modules for the Executive MBA Program. Through case-based learning and other interactive methodologies, seminar participants integrate theory and practice while acquiring new knowledge.
- Summer Schools Logistics Management: During the twelve-day Summer Schools Logistics Management, participants tap into an effective compact learning environment. The agenda centers on general business management concepts and their application for logistics. Due to the close collaboration during case studies, management simulations, excursions and the attractive supporting activities, participants form a strong network which often accompanies them beyond the classroom along their careers. The popular Summer Schools will be delivered in two versions: German and in English as the International Summer School.
These programs are announced from time to time. A sample list of past programs conducted at ITMMA is given below:
THE KLU Admissions
- Required is a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized university or college in Germany or abroad and an excellent academic record. The required bachelor’s degree will usually be in business or economics. Other fields such as industrial engineering, business informatics or mathematics will be considered if your bachelor’s degree consists of a sufficient number (at least four) and a variety of courses in the field of business administration or business economics.
- A very good level of spoken and written English TOEFL (550/213/79) or IELTS (band 6.5) or equivalent
- Masters degree or equivalent from a recognized university and an excellent academic record
- Indicate their research interest (logistics, marketing or leadership)
- Outline their previous gained knowledge of subject related methodologies
- Comprehensive CV and academic transcripts
- GMAT or GRE taken within the last three years (not obligatory)
- Proof of your proficiency in English / Copy of TOEFL or IELTS score