Merchant Marine and Maritime Training at MITAGS-PMI & Workboat Academy
Pacific Maritime Institute (PMI), a subsidiary institution of The Maritime Institute of Technology and Graduate Studies (MITAGS) is a non-profit vocational training center for people seeking to enter the maritime profession and professional mariners seeking to advance their careers, which is based on the use of more advanced techniques and technology. The Pacific Maritime Institute is dedicated to providing the most comprehensive theoretical and practical training for seafarers.
Simulation & Research: MITAGS and PMI offers over twenty years of full-mission shiphandling simulation experience to terminal/ship designers and engineers. The in-house team of modelers and shiphandling experts can assist in finding solutions to tough operational questions.
Founded in 1972 and located just minutes from one of the United States of efficient public transport hubs, MITAGS has an impressive campus. The infrastructure includes a 232 room three star quality hotel and conference center, 45 classrooms and an advanced simulation technology center. It is also home to the International Longshoremen’s Association Crane Training Center. This state-of-the-art crane simulator, one of six in the world, provides realistic training for ship gantry, ship pedestal, dock gantry, twin lift and mobile cranes.
MITAGS is located in Linthicum Heights, Maryland. MITAGS and PMI’s heritage is with the Masters, Mates and Pilots (MM&P) and the Trust Companies that formed the school to train its mariners.
Campus: The new facility is called The Maritime Technology and Career Center and is located just south of the United States Coast Guard Station and Massachusetts Street in the SODO District of downtown Seattle, Washington.
- AB to Mate Program: : This program is designed for able seafarers that have 1080 days of sea service. It will provide all of the STCW-95 training requirements needed to attain an STCW95 Officer In Charge of a Navigation Watch (OICNW) and a USCG Third Mate Oceans or Near Coastal License. Optional courses are available to attain endorsements for Tankerman Person In Charge (TPIC), Medical Person In Charge (Med-PIC) and other endorsements for candidates with the requisite sea service. Completion of the program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and confidence necessary to take on the duties and responsibilities of a Mate.
- STCW 95 Chief Mate to Master (CMM) Program: This STCW-95 training program is designed for the experienced mariner who wants to upgrade to Chief Mate / Master’s level. This program offers all the requirements for the mate to upgrade, including most of the required practical assessments of skills. The CMM program is twelve weeks (60 days) of formal training that provides the knowledge, skills and confidence to take on the duties and responsibilities of a Chief Mate and Master.
- Workboat Mate Program: This program fulfills all of the STCW-95 training. This two-year program is specifically designed for the entry-level person interested in becoming an officer. Comprised of 32 weeks of classroom / simulation training and a minimum of 52 weeks onboard training which will be documented in a 'Training Record Book'.
- Tug and Barge Courses: In addition to the Workboat Mate Program, MITAGS-PMI have developed a comprehensive training matrix specifically for the tug and barge industry. Many of these courses may be customized and / or taught at offsite locations.
- State Pilot Courses: : MITAGS and PMI are the leading providers of State Pilot Training in the United States, and major suppliers for international pilot groups. Both Schools offer standard and custom courses. Pilot associations also look to MITAGS-PMI for complex simulation projects related to channel design, berthing arrangements, assist tug execution, and waterway suitability assessments (Operational Research). An average of million dollars yearly is invested to provide the very latest in simulation technology.
- Individual Courses: In addition to Vocational Programs, such as AB to Mate, Chief Mate to Master, and Workboat Mate programs, MITAGS-PMI continues to offer individual courses for mariners. The individual courses are offered for those mariners wishing to either renew or upgrade their licenses. While some of these courses are offered within one or more of the above programs.
- Maritime Advancement, Training, Education & Safety Trust (MMP-MATES) Program: The MMP Maritime Advancement, Training, Education & Safety Trust (MMP-MATES) Program operates the Maritime Institute of Technology and Graduate Studies (MITAGS) and the Pacific Maritime Institute (PMI). They are the primary training facilities for members of the International Organization of Masters, Mates and Pilots (IOMM&P). MITAGS and PMI offer numerous courses / training programs that have been specifically designed to enhance your maritime career from ordinary seaman to unlimited tonnage master/pilot.
Workboat Academy Programs
- Workboat Mate Program (2 Years)
- 500/1600 GRT Mate Apprentice Program (2012)
- For more information on workboat academy programs, please check here