Wooden Boat Building Training and Education
The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding is committed to providing men and women of all ages a quality education in traditional wooden boatbuilding and fine woodworking. The school strives to impart sound, practical knowledge in traditional maritime skills, using wooden boats as the training medium.
Full time programs at the boat school include nine-month diploma programs and twelve-month degree programs for an Associate Degree of Occupational Studies (AOS). The noncredit courses include full-time weekday courses in conjunction with experts in related maritime trades, evening and weekend Supplemental courses and a number of Workshops varying in length from one day to several weeks.
The school is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSC).
- Associate Degree of Occupational Studies (AOS) in Contemporary Boatbuilding (12 months)
- Associate Degree of Occupational Studies (AOS) in Traditional Large Craft (12 months)
- Associate Degree of Occupational Studies (AOS) in Traditional Small Craft (12 months)
- Diploma in Contemporary Boatbuilding (9 months)
- Diploma in Traditional Large Craft (9 months)
- Diploma in Traditional Small Craft (9 months)
A 12-month AOS degree or 9-month diploma can be achieved by completing all core subjects as defined in any one of the full-time programs.
Students awarded an associate degree of occupational studies must successfully complete a minimum of 90 quarter-credits of which a minimum of 67.5 must be in the core occupational subjects and a minimum of 13.5 quarter credit hours must be in general education or applied general education courses. General education is defined as courses which are designed to develop essential basic academic skills. General education courses are not offered at the boat school. Students without the required general education credits may elect to take evening courses at Peninsula College in Port Townsend or Washington State University Learning Center in Port Hadlock.
- Basic Skills for Boatbuilding: Lofting
- Basic Skills for Boatbuilding: Skiff Construction
- Basic Skills for Boatbuilding: Woodworking
- Beginning Boatbuilding: Building a Heidi Skiff
- Boat Design
- Boatbuilding Basic Skills: Drafting
- Comprehensive Sailmaking & Rigging
- Contemporary Wooden Boatbuilding
- Repair and Restoration
- Traditional Large Craft Construction
- Traditional Rigging Course
- Traditional Small Craft Construction
- Yacht Interiors, Joinery