Coast Guard Approved and IMO Compliant Marine Professional Training
Chesapeake Marine Training Institute, Inc. (CMTI), founded in October 1992, is a large privately owned school in the mid-Atlantic region. CMTI was cited in the April 2002 edition of Marine Log as being one of ten leading maritime training companies in the United States. Chesapeake Marine Training Institute is a full time training facility, open 52 weeks of the year, providing US Coast Guard approved courses. CMTI is an approved Workforce Investment Act Training Provider by the Commonwealth of Virginia and is approved for the Education and Training of Veterans for certain courses.
Occupying over 8000 square feet of a modern office and classroom spaces, with an additional 12,500 square feet of outdoor training complex, CMTI is located near the historic triangle of Yorktown, Jamestown, and Williamsburg, Virginia.
Chesapeake Marine Training Institute continues to provide training for several State and Federal agencies including Virginia Department of Transportation, North Carolina Ferry System, Virginia Pilot Association, Maryland Pilot Association, Major Towing Companies, US Navy, NOAA, MARAD, US Army, US Army Corps of Engineers and the US Coast Guard.
- Deck /Wheelhouse Courses: Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV or 6-pack); Master, 25, 50, and 100 Gross Registered Tons (GRT); Upgrade, OUPV to Master 100 Gross Registered Tons; Commercial Assistance Towing Endorsement; Auxiliary Sail Endorsement; Upgrade, Master 100 GRT to Master 200 GRT; Master 100GRT and 200GRT Upgrade– 18 days; Apprentice Mate (Steersman) of Un-inspected Towing Vessels; Master to 100GRT and 200GRT Upgrade and Apprentice Mate; Master 100 GRT to 200 GRT Upgrade and Apprentice Mate; Navigation Course, Basic– 5 days; Navigation /Piloting Course– 10 days; Celestial Navigation to 1600 GRT; Flashing Light (Prep and Test); Rules of the Road; Rules of the Road – USCG Boatswain Mate and Coxswains– 3 days; Designated Examiner for Towing Officer Assessments; 500/1600 Master/Mate INLAND w/Colregs (Test at USCG); Master /Mate Near Coastal (500/1600, 2nd & 3rd Mate) Test at USCG; F/V Master/Mate TEST AT COAST GUARD; Examination Prep – General Subjects Only OUPV– Master 200GRT; Examination Prep – General Subjects Only Master 5/16; Deckhand Orientation Training Program; and Bridge Resource Management (BRM) up to 1600 GRT
- RADAR /ARPA /ECDIS: Radar Observer – Rivers; Radar Observer – Inland; Radar Observer – Unlimited; Radar Observer Recertification; Radar Observer Renewal, Additional Days of Training; Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA); and Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS).
- Unlicensed Deck Endorsements: Able Seaman with Lifeboatman/PSC; Able Seaman; and Lifeboatman (Limited PSC) - 2 days
- STCW Basic Safety Training: STCW Elementary First Aid and CPR; STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities; STCW Personal Survival Techniques; STCW Basic Fire Prevention and Firefighting; Combined Basic and Advanced FireFighting; STCW Basic Safety Training; RFPNW (Rating Forming Part of a Navigation Watch); STCW Basic Safety Training (BST) Without Firefighting; and Medical Care Provider.
- Qualified Member of the Engine Department: QMED with One Endorsement; QMED with Junior Endorsement; and QMED with All Endorsements
- Tankerman (Barge): Tankerman/PIC Refueling Only; Tankerman/PIC Barge (DL) Refresher; Tankerman/PIC Barge (DL); Tankbarge Basic Firefighting; and Tankbarge/PIC Barge (DL) and Basic Firefighting Combined course
- FCC Radio License Prep & Exams: FCC License Examination Fee, Each Element Up To Two Elements; FCC Marine Radio Operator Permit Exam Prep; FCC General Radio Operator License Exam Prep; and FCC GMDSS Exam Prep
- Security Training: Vessel/Company Security Officer
Training in Florida
Chesapeake Marine Training Institute (CMTI) recently formed a partnership with Florida State College at Jacksonville, located in Jacksonville, Florida, in order to offer US Coast Guard (USCG) approved Maritime license training courses. The partnership developed in response to workforce development needs of employers, and the training will be conducted by USCG approved College instructors who will use Chesapeake Marine Training Institute USCG approved courses via traditional classroom delivery. Completion of specific courses may result in merchant marine licensure, and internally articulated college credit may be applied toward the College’s Associate of Science in Industrial Management Technology.
The Following courses are offered at Florida State College at Jacksonville: