Maritime Technology & Transport; Marine, Naval & Nautical Engineering; Shipping & Marina; and, Supply Chain Programs
Founded in 1769, The Barcelona School of Nautical Studies (FNB) is the oldest maritime and nautical educational institution in Spain. It offers an appealing array of courses and an ideal environment for learning. The school is an ISO 9001:2000 approved institution due to its high quality academic quality standards. Following completion of your degree, you have access to a wide variety of continuing education activities, including specialization courses, maritime protection courses and various postgraduate courses.
Universitat Politècnica De Catalunya (Polytechnic University of Catalonia - UPC) is a public institution dedicated to research and higher education, specialized in the fields of architecture, science and engineering. The university is engaged in intense research activity and provides students with an outstanding education and, also transfer technology and knowledge to companies and society.
The school offers exchange programs in collaboration with the Universitá degli Studi di Genova (Italy), Maritime University of Szczecin (Poland), Vestfold University College (Norway), Haugesund University College (Norway) and Antwerp Maritime Academy (Belgium). Its affiliate schools are located in Barcelona, Castelldefels, Igualada, Manresa, Mataró, Sant Cugat del Vallès, Terrassa and Vilanova i la Geltrú.
Bachelors Degree Programs
- Bachelor's Degree in Marine Technologies (Barcelona FNB - 4 years): he bachelor’s degree in Marine Technologies will give you a solid grounding in the operation, maintenance and management of power plants and ship systems, and in the design, reengineering and construction of vessels. In addition to working on board ships, graduates also have the skills needed to fill positions related to the operation of offshore platforms for oil and gas extraction, dredgers, underwater machinery, and any other industrial activity carried out in the maritime and land-based sector. You can choose between two majors: On-Board Practicals Or Marine Electrotechnics.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nautical Science and Maritime Transport (Barcelona FNB - 4 years): The bachelor’s degree in Nautical Science and Maritime Transport will provide you with the knowledge and skills needed for optimal management of navigation manoeuvres, safety and pollution prevention, special cargoes, radio-electronic systems, and other specialised matters. You will also get a good grounding in meteorology, computer representation and design techniques, maritime legislation and regulations, and the organisation, management, marketing and financing of maritime businesses. You can choose between two majors: On-Board Practicals Or Maritime Business and Port Logistics.
- Bachelor's Degree in Naval Systems and Technology Engineering (Barcelona FNB - 4 years): The bachelor’s degree in Naval Systems and Technology Engineering will provide you with the knowledge and skills required to work as an expert on ship propulsion and systems. Your training will be career-oriented, focusing on technological activities linked to naval engineering in relation to ships and vessels of all types; floating and fixed platforms and structures (floating docks, structures for exploiting and utilising marine resources, and marine structures for generating renewable energy); marine nurseries and fishing systems; and other maritime industries. The following specialisations are offered: Sports and Leisure Watercraft; Business Organisation; and Inspection, Maintenance and Repair.
Masters Degree Programs
- Master's Degree in Marine Engineering (Barcelona FNB - 1.5 years): The master's degree in Marine Engineering gives students the knowledge and skills to design, plan, operate, maintain and manage marine facilities, covering the main safety, environmental and economic considerations in marine engineering from an interdisciplinary perspective. The course qualifies graduates to practise the regulated profession of chief engineer in the merchant navy.
- Master's Degree in Nautical Engineering and Maritime Transport (Barcelona FNB - 1.5 years): The master's degree in Nautical Engineering and Maritime Transport provides high-level skills in the knowledge areas linked to nautical engineering and maritime transport: the structure and behaviour of ships at sea, maritime transport logistics and environmental management. The course qualifies graduates to practise the regulated profession of merchant navy captain.
- Master's Degree in Supply Chain, Transport and Mobility (Barcelona ETSEIB & ETSECCPB - 2 years): The master’s degree in Supply Chains, Transport and Mobility productes technical professionals with a high level of excellence in the analysis, management and optimisation of logistics and transport systems in the fields of civil and industrial engineering. These are basic activities in the organisation of society, the productivity of the economy in a region and the quality of life of the population.
- Nautical Engineering, Marine and Naval Radioelectronics (Barcelona FNB): The interuniversity doctoral program in Nautical Engineering, Marine Engineering, and Naval Radioelectronics aims to achieve the following objectives: Provide paths of research in academic and professional aspects of the maritime sector; facilitate interaction with other university lines of research related to maritime activity and, in particular, the study of ships as basic elements of transport by sea, and also, conduct courses to adapt to the real needs and future industrial and maritime activities before incorporating new technologies.
Professional & Executive Programs
- Executive Master's Course in Lean Supply Chain Management. Directing Operations and Logistics (Spanish - 1 year): This Masters Degree aims to be unique and exclusive, a reference point for all professionals aiming to develop their career in the areas of logistics, distribution, supplies and, in general, any aspect relating to the supply chain management and design. To make this possible, the course has included prestigious professionals from the main European universities (CRANFIELD) and leading schools in specific areas (European Short Sea Shipping School). For this Masters UPC also have the collaboration of managers from the leading logistics companies in Spain, who will transmit their experiences to the students.
- Masters Program in Shipping Business (Spanish - 1 year): This master's degree includes the participation of prestigious professionals from the maritime sector who will pass on their experiences to the students, leading schools in this field (the European School of Short Sea Shipping), technical visits to companies and institutions and a study trip to London, the world headquarters of the shipping business.
- Postgraduate Program in Marina Management (Spanish - Approx 6 months): The main aim of this program is to train professionals to integrate the different business segments of the marine sportive industry. Providing them with the tools and resources to improve and optimize the management of companies in the sector knowledge. This training offer is backed by industry professionals involved, have consolidated the Postgraduate in Management Nautical Sports as a reference for specialized training in this area. This programme is becoming established with the aim of responding to the demand specialized training in the field of nautical sports.