Maritime/ Shipping Operations & Transportation Management; Marine Engineering; Maritime Business; Nautical Studies; Supply Chain Management; & Maritime Training at Singapore Polytechnic (SP)
Established in 1954, Singapore Polytechnic (SP) is the first polytechnic established in Singapore to train technologists and professionals to support the industrialization and economic development of Singapore. Singapore Polytechnic offers 50 full-time diploma courses and a wide range of continuing education programs. It has ten academic schools and one academic department.
The current enrolment of 18,000 full-time and part-time students, about 8% of whom are from countries in the region, are pursuing a total of 80 diploma and post-diploma courses in the Schools of Architecture and the Built Environment; Business; Chemical and Life Sciences; Communication, Arts and Social Sciences; Design; Digital Media and Infocomm Technology; Electrical and Electronic Engineering; Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering; and the Singapore Maritime Academy.
Established in 1957, the Singapore Maritime Academy (SMA) is the country's main maritime training institution and offers a full range of maritime diplomas and specialist diplomas, Certificate of Competency (CoC) courses as well as Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) courses. The courses are infused with technological perspectives that increase their relevance in today's world.
Undergraduate Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Maritime Operations (BMO) – 1.5 years Top-up
- BBA with Specialization in Maritime Transportation Management – 1.5 years Top-up
The Bachelor of Maritime Operations (BMO) & Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) courses aim to provide sound and broad knowledge, understanding, skills and competencies in maritime-related disciplines with specializations in Technology, Nautical Science, Marine Engineering, Offshore, and Maritime Transportation Management.
- Bachelor of Engineering in Naval Architecture with Marine Engineering or Offshore Engineering: Please follow for more details - Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)
Full-time Diploma Programs
- Diploma in Marine Engineering (DMR) – 3 years: The Diploma in Marine Engineering is a three-year full-time course, which includes a 9-week Industrial Training Program with approved establishments. The course structure is modularized to enhance learning and to provide flexibility of the course design. The structure of the diploma program provides for this in two ways - through intensive training in the fully equipped workshops and laboratories specifically designed for hands-on learning and through a structured 9-week Industrial Training Program with approved industrial organizations.
- Diploma in Maritime Business (DMB) – 3 years: This diploma is designed to be practice-oriented. The link between theory and practice is achieved through hands-on work, practical exercises, case studies, industrial attachment and field visits. Students will be taught by experienced and qualified staff and will receive hands-on training on Portnet, Tradenet and the latest ship management and logistics software application programs. The 6-month shore-based industrial attachment exposure provides students with a first-hand experience of working in maritime-related or logistics organizations in Singapore.
- Diploma in Nautical Studies (DNS) – 3 years: This three-year training program prepares students for the Diploma in Nautical Studies (DNS) and their first professional sea-going qualification - the Class 3 Deck Certificate of Competency. It is the first career step for the holder to sail as a junior deck officer, and later, as master of a ship. The course comprises three phases. Phase 1 commences at the start of the SP academic year whilst Phase 3 is conducted each semester. The holder of the diploma may be granted exemption from the written part of the Class 3 Certificate of Competency examination conducted by MPA Singapore. The student will be required to attend the STCW95 Medical First Aid on Board Ship course as an ancillary. The curriculum also covers Electronic Navigation Systems, GMDSS, Advanced Fire-fighting and Tanker Familiarization.
Part-time /Diploma-Plus Programs
- Specialist Diploma in Shipping Operations and Management – 1 year: This one-year program is targeted at shipping and logistics personnel with a polytechnic diploma or higher qualifications. It aims to give participants a greater level of understanding in shipping operations and shipping management. Junior and middle management executives who complete this diploma will be able to perform their jobs with a greater level of competence and understanding.
- Specialist Diploma in Supply Chain Management – 1 year: This one-year evenings-only course is designed to upgrade participants with up-to-date knowledge and techniques in the field of Supply Chain Management and Logistics. The curriculum is complemented by the use of SAP software to suit the demands of the industry. It consists of six modules of 45 hours each conducted over two semesters.
- Maritime Law & Dispute Resolution – 3 Semesters: This course aims to strengthen and expand the basic maritime law taught and provides an applicable knowledge of dispute resolution to our business students in preparation for their degree studies or to work as maritime claims executives or paralegals. pen to full-time Singapore Polytechnic students with a min cumulative GPA greater or equal to 3.2 or O level aggregate score of 15 and below and min GCE ‘O’ level English of B4 or less.
- Medical First Aid Onboard Ship, STCW 95 VI/4 para 1
- Medical Care On board Ship, STCW 95 II/2 para 2.2
- Navigation Control Course, STCW 95 II/2 para2.2
- Tanker Familiarization Course, STCW 95 V/I para 1.2
- Advanced Oil Tanker Safety STCW V/1(2.2)
- Advanced Chemical Tanker Safety STCW V/1(2.2)
- Advanced Liquefied Gas Tanker Safety STCW V/1(2.2)
- Basic Safety Training Courses, STCW95 Code Section A VI/1 para 2
- Global Maritime Distress Safety System - General Operator's Certificate Course - STCW 95 IV/2 para 1.0
- Global Maritime Distress Safety System - Restricted Operator' Course STCW 95 IV/2 para1.0
- Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boat - other than a Fast Rescue Boat, STCW95 VI/2 para 1
- Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boat - other than Fast Rescue Boat - Bridging Course, STCW95 VI/2 para 1 part
- Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boat Section STCW A-VI/2 IMO Model Course 1.24
- Familiarization Training STCW95 Code Section A VI/1 para 1
- Advanced Fire Fighting Course, STCW95 VI/3 para 1
- Advanced Fire Fighting - Bridging Course STCW95 VI/3 para 1 part
- Shipboard Training and Assessment Course, STCW95 I/6 para 1.2
- Crowd Management & Safety Training for Passenger Ships - other than Ro-Ro Passenger Ships, STCW V/3 para 4 & 6
- Crisis Management, Human Behavior & Safety for Passenger Ships - other than Ro-Ro Passenger Ships, STCW V/3 para 7 & 8
- Electronic Navigation Systems Course, STCW95 II/1 para 5
- ECDIS Appreciation Course
- Specialized Training Course for the Operational Use of ECDIS, STCW95 Code Section A-II/1 para 2 & Section B-II/1 para 12.1 & relevant IMO Circulars
- Powered Pleasure Craft Driving License (PPCDL)
- Ship Security Officer (SSO) Course
- Company Security Officer (CSO) Course
- Port Facility Security Officer (PFSO) Course
- Class 1 Steam Boiler Attendant Course
- Class 2 Steam Boiler Attendant Course
- Liferaft Survival Techniques for Boaters Course
- GMDSS-GOC Revalidation: General Guidance