Merchant Navy and RYA Training
Orkney College is an academic partner in the University of the Highlands and Islands. The College serves the Orkney community, which is rural and predominantly agricultural. The main campus is a new purpose-built site located on a hill on the outskirts of Kirkwall. The College is one of very few non-incorporated colleges in Scotland and is the responsibility of the OIC, which has devolved considerable powers, including management, funding and staffing to the College Management Council (CMC).
Orkney College’s Maritime Studies department is ideally situated on a waterfront site in busy Stromness Harbor. It has a long and distinguished history of providing education and training for generations of the seafarers from Orkney and beyond.
The department mainly concentrates on courses of study leading to the issue of Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Certificates of Competency (COC). Each COC is achieved by successful completion of the appropriate Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ), a number of ancillary courses and an oral examination conducted by an MCA examiner. Courses for the leisure sector are also available.
SVQ Level 3 in Marine Vessel Operations
- Officer of the Watch Unlimited Certificate of Competency (SVQ Level 3 in Marine Vessel Operations)
- Officer of the Watch Unlimited Certificate of Competency (SVQ Level 3 in Marine Vessel Operations) - under 500gt
Intended for Deck Ratings or other seafarers wishing to attain a certificate of competency as Deck Officer of the Watch for vessels of unlimited tonnage in the unlimited area. Duration not specified due to the flexible nature of the vocational qualification but should ideally be completed within 3 years of the start date. If studying full time, 9 months study time is the norm. As well as college assessments, an on board training portfolio is to be completed at sea.
- GMDSS Restricted Operators Certificate (4 days)
- GMDSS Short Range Certificate (1 day)
- Navigation, Radar and ARPA Simulator Training (Operational Level) – 5 weeks
- Navigation, Radar and ARPA Simulator Training (Management Level) – 2 weeks
- Personal Survival Techniques (1 ½ days)
- Elementary First Aid (1 day)
- Basic Fire fighting (1 day)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (1 day)
- Efficient Deck Hand (5 days)
- Stability Awareness (1 day)
- Day skipper (shorebased) – 2 weeks
- RYA radar course (2 days)
Officer of the Watch Unlimited Certificate of Competency
- A valid medical - ENG1. At least 12 months sea service in the deck department including at least 6 months in the last 12 on duties associated with bridge watch keeping under the supervision of a certificated deck officer.
- Sea service must be completed on seagoing vessels over 24 metres in length or 80gt and verified by watch keeping certificates and testimonials as specified by the MCA. An MCA Notice of Eligibility will be needed before sitting the oral exam to complete the course.
Officer of the Watch Unlimited Certificate of Competency - under 500gt