Nautical Studies, Merchant Shipping & Marine Courses, RYA Courses and Safety Training
Scotland’s largest college, City of Glasgow College was formed in 2010 with merging three prominent colleges in Glasgow, Central College Glasgow; Glasgow Metropolitan College; and Glasgow College of Nautical Studies. The College now has a portfolio of over 2,600 courses across a wide variety of areas which can be studied in various modes of attendance such as full time, part time, day release and distance learning. The College is currently the home of 40,000 students and 1,200 staff.
Two new campuses are being built for the college. Building work has started on a Marine Skills Centre on the banks of the River Clyde near Thistle Street.. The new college has the support of Glasgow City Council and the Scottish Funding Council.
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies (Which merged with the City of Glasgow College) is a UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. Many of the programs and courses are approved by the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and/or the Merchant Navy Training Board.
Nautical Studies Full-Time
- NC/HNC Deck Officer Trainee Program: This course is designed for school leavers who wish to become seagoing Deck Officers. It is structured into 5 distinct phases or blocks of time spent at College and at Sea. The course incorporates both the SQA NC Shipping and Maritime Operations and the HNC Nautical Science. All students are sponsored by various Shipping Companies or Training Agencies, who provide the sea phases on ships operating worldwide. Applications should be made via sponsoring companies, full details of which can be obtained from the School of Nautical Studies.
- Professional Diploma in Marine Operations SCQF Level 9: This course is designed for school leavers who have gained at least 120 UCAS Points and who wish to become seagoing Deck Officers. It is structured into 5 distinct phases or blocks of time spent at college and at sea. It incorporates both the SQA HND Nautical Science and the Professional Development Award in Marine Operations.
- UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency Chief Mate and Master (REG11/2) SCQF Level 8 (Including HND in Nautical Science): This course is designed for serving watch keeping Deck Officers, who do not already hold an HND Nautical Science, and want to progress to Chief Mate or Masters (STCW 95) level by a non VQ route. SAAS funding is available for eligible students attending this course. Sections of this course are also required for holders of a Pre 1987 UK Class 2/1st Mate (FG) (or non-UK equivalents), who wish to obtain a UK Master Unlimited Certificate of Competency.
- UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency Officer of the Watch (REG11/1) SCQF Level 7 (including HNC Nautical Science): The course is designed for serving deck ratings who want to obtain a UK Certificate of Competency at Officer of the Watch (STCW 95) level. SAAS funding is available for eligible students attending this course.
- Advanced Tanker Courses
- Class 1 Masters Orals
- Class 2 Chief Mates Orals
- Class 2 Chief Mates Writtens
- Class 2 Post HND Course
- Enhanced Navigational Boat Course
- GMDSS Course
- MCA Efficient Deck Hand
- NARAST Management Course
- NARAST Operational Course
- OOW Post HND Course
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibility
- Personal Survival Techniques
- RYA Coastal/Offshore
- RYA Day Skipper
- RYA Engine Maintenance
- RYA Ocean Yachtmaster
- Safety Officers Course
- Ships Security Officer
- Short Range Certificate
- Tanker Familiarization