PACIFIC YACHTING & SAILING AT SANTA CRUZ, CALIFORNIA
SAILING SCHOOL, SAILING LESSONS & INSTRUCTION - SAIL THE MONTEREY BAY MARINE SANCTUARY
Pacific Yachting & Sailing offers sailing courses ranging from Basic Sailing & Seamanship to Offshore Passage Making. We'll teach you everything you need to know to safely skipper a sailing yacht as a bareboat-certified captain or competent crewmember.
The hands-on approach to instruction cultivates the potential in each student. All courses are held onboard the instructional vessel and include both lecture sessions (onboard the vessel) and on-the-water practice. The class size of 3-4 students assures you of plenty of individualized attention and the curriculum, refined over the past 20 years, is thorough and efficient. Each class naturally progresses to the next level of instruction.
ASA (American Sailing Association) Certification
Pacific Yachting and Sailing Location
View Larger Map
- Basic Sailing & Seamanship: This two-day course will teach you the fundamentals of sailing and seamanship. A total of 12 hours of onboard instruction will provide you with the skills and confidence you need to safely skipper and crew a 22' to 27' tiller sailboat in light to moderate wind and sea conditions on lakes or other protected bodies of water. All instruction is onboard our 27-30 foot keelboats.
- Basic Coastal Cruising: This course prepares the student to sail and cruise safely in local waters as both skipper and crew on an auxiliary powered sailboat of about 30-34 feet during daylight hours in moderate to strong wind and sea conditions. You will build on the skills learned in the Basic Sailing & Seamanship course and acquire more advanced boat handling, safety and seamanship skills.
- Intermediate Coastal Cruising: The goal of this two-day course is to introduce the student to the traditional techniques of Coastal Navigation, and to refine the sailing skills learned in Basic Coastal Cruising to prepare them for the Practical Checkout.
- Bareboat Chartering: This course prepares the student to charter a larger wheel steered auxiliary powered sailboat, sailing by day in coastal waters in moderate to strong wind and sea conditions.
- Advanced Coastal Navigation and Piloting: The Advanced Coastal Cruising Course is a four day sailing expedition that will offer advanced sailing and local challenges on the Monterey Bay and Pacific Ocean.
- Spinnaker Course: This two-day course introduces the student to the basics of spinnaker handling and more performance-oriented sailing. You'll learn advanced upwind sail trim, how to set, trim, jibe and douse symmetrical spinnakers, safety techniques and broach avoidance and recovery. This course is taught on our Santa Cruz 27 foot performance sailboat.
- Coastal Excursions: Explore the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary by sailboat & kayak. All sailing vessels skippered by professional US Coast Guard licensed captains. Small groups of 4-5 or fewer per boat. Enjoy coastal cruising, deepwater sailing, tidepooling, kayaking, beachcombing, birdwatching, and much more.
- Six Day Instruction Program: The Six-Day Instruction Program is an excellent way to learn how to sail. You will experience six days of sailing instruction on the Monterey Bay and Pacific Ocean. The Six-Day Program includes: Basic Sailing & Seamanship, Basic Coastal Cruising and Intermediate Coastal Cruising .
- Eight Day Instruction Program: The Eight-Day Instruction Program is an excellent way to learn how to sail and obtain the Bareboat level of certification. You will experience eight consecutive days of sailing instruction on the Monterey Bay and Pacific Ocean. The Eight-Day Program includes: Basic Sailing & Seamanship, Basic Coastal Cruising, Intermediate Coastal Cruising, and Bareboat Chartering.
- Other Instruction: Private Instruction; Review Course; Practical Check Out and Women's Classes.