AUSTRALIAN COAST GUARD MARITIME ACADEMY AT SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
MARITIME CADET; COMMERCIAL MARINER; MARITIME SEARCH & RESCUE; AND RECREATIONAL BOATING TRAINING
The Australian Maritime Academy is a not-for-profit maritime education, consulting and research organization with a particular focus on Coastal Maritime Operations, Maritime Search & Rescue, Marine Tourism and Youth Development. Through the unique combination of short and long courses, conveniently grouped into relevant programs, you will be able to easily choose those that are appropriate to your needs whether it be as simple as qualifying for a Recreational Boating License or training for a career as a Merchant Marine Officer.
The academy is not a government-managed institution but a wholly owned subsidiary of the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard, one of the largest dedicated maritime training and search and rescue volunteer organizations in the southern hemisphere with more than 50 years experience in training coastal mariners.
Located at Chowder Bay on the shores of Sydney Harbor the campus provides an outstanding environment in which to study for your maritime qualifications. With accommodation limited to just 75 and class sizes generally less than 10 you will get ample attention during your program. The Academy provides all its programming in a safe, enjoyable and educational context, with students guided at every turn by highly experienced and professional staff, all of whom adhere to comprehensive safety and risk-management procedures.
Australian CG Academy Location
View Larger Map
- Maritime Cadet Program: The Maritime Cadet Program is open to all candidates with equivalent to at least Year 10 English, Mathematics and Science and who meet strict Medical and Eyesight test requirements. Whilst specifically designed for those wishing to enter the maritime industry, the first year of this program are also be particularly suitable for candidates who wish to use their gap year to explore the maritime industry and/or gain valuable experience and qualifications before joining the Police Force, Customs or the Navy or going on to higher education in their chosen field. This will be a full time residential program delivered at the Sydney campus and on working vessels covering all aspects of Coastal Maritime Operations and Marine Tourism with cadets being awarded various certificates as they progress.
Commercial Mariner Programs
- Specialist Maritime Courses: Marine Incident Investigator; Company Security Officer; Port Security Officer; Ship Security Officer.
- Coastal Maritime Operations: Diploma Master Class 3; Certificate IV Master Class 4; Certificate III Master Class 5; Certificate II Coxwain; Certificate I General Purpose Hand; Power Boat License.
- Coastal Maritime Engineering: Diploma Marine Engineer Class 3; Certificate IV Marine Engine Driver Grade 1; Certificate III Marine Engine Driver Grade 2; Certificate II Marine Engine Driver Grade 3; Marine First Aid; Marine Radio Operator; Elements of Shipboard Safety.
- Marine Tourism: Diploma Outdoor Recreation (Marine Tourism); Certificate IV Outdoor Recreation (Skipper Grade 2); Certificate III Outdoor Recreation (Marine Tourism); Certificate II Outdoor Recreation (Marine Tourism).
- Maritime Search & Rescue: Advanced Diploma in Public Safety (Emergency Management); Search and Rescue Coordinator; Duty Officer (Coxwain); Duty Officer (Competent Crew); Duty Officer (Radio Officer); Duty Officer (Radio Operator).
Maritime Search & Rescue Programs
- Maritime Search Planning (MSP)
- SAR Mission Coordinator (SMC)
- Search Master (SM)
- SAR On-scene Coordinator (OSC)
- Flotilla / Unit Leadership
- Squadron / Region Leadership
Recreational Boating Programs
- Recreational Power Boat Operator
- Marine Radio Operator (MROCP)
- Coastal Navigation
- Outboard Engine Maintenance
Youth Development Program
- This will be a full time residential program delivered at the Coast Guard Maritime Academy on Cockatoo Island, Sydney and on training vessels and will be open to young men and women aged 16 to 18 years. The Youth Development Program will encompass a broad range of Marine activities including boat handling (Recreational Boating License) and First Aid (Certificate), together with Leadership, Problem Solving and Team Work.