Global Supply Chain Management Education at Purdue University
Founded in 1869 as a land-grant university by the Indiana General Assembly, Purdue University, located in West Lafayette, Indiana, is the Flagship University of the six-campus Purdue University System. Purdue offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in over 210 major areas of study. Purdue has produced multiple Nobel Prize winners, Fortune 500 executives, and Pulitzer Prize winners.
Purdue has four regional campuses: Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) - Indianapolis, Indiana; Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) - Fort Wayne, Indiana; Purdue North Central (PNC) - Westville, Indiana; and Purdue Calumet - Hammond, Indiana. In addition to its academic programs offered at Purdue's campuses, the College of Technology offers learning programs at several other locations in the state of Indiana. Anderson, Columbus, Greensburg, Indianapolis, Kokomo, Lafayette, New Albany, Richmond, South Bend/Elkhart, and Vincennes
The Krannert School of Management was established in 1962 with an endowment of .7 million of Herman & Ellnora Krannert. The school offers instruction at bachelor's, master's and doctorate level. For 2010, the national rankings for the Krannert MBA program was 38 by US News & World Report and 45 by Forbes. Financial Times ranked the program 54 World in 2009 and The Wall Street Journal has ranked the program 12 in the region in 2007.
- MBA with Global Supply Chain Management Option: At Krannert most MBA students choose to gain additional expertise through completion of one or two areas of focused study, called option areas. Option areas add depth to the broad base of management knowledge covered in the core curriculum and are not required for the completion of the MBA degree. Even so, option areas are recommended as a way to enhance your skills in a specific business function or to market your skills to potential employers. Global Supply Chain Management option area encourages students to focus on managing issues associated with: structuring, understanding and procuring from global supply chains that include domestic and foreign suppliers; servicing supply chains of global customers; and coordinating supply chains that work across country boundaries.
Since its inception, the Krannert School of Management has been widely recognized as one of the top business schools in the country. Krannert faculty bring the latest in management knowledge and techniques into the classroom. Courses that have a strong analytical content and those that focus on managing human relations allow the graduates to be prepared for multiple roles in the fast-changing global business environment.
- Campus: Purdue's main campus is located in West Lafayette, Indiana. The Krannert undergraduate classes are conducted in the Krannert Building, which opened in 1964 and Rawls Hall is the home of all the classes in the Masters program.
- Accreditation: Purdue University is accredited by Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Krannert School of Management programs are accredited by the AACSB International.
- Supply Chain Program Ranking: US News & World Report (Spring 2010)ranked Krannert Graduate program in Supply Chain/Logistics at No.11 in the country.
- Operations and Supply Chain Organization (OSCO): This organization provides a better understanding of operations and supply chain career opportunities and to provide students with knowledge that will aide in their studies. This will be accomplished through increasing their familiarity with the job search process, acting as a liaison between students and companies, providing a connection with MBA students, and ensuring understanding of course work and concentration options.
- Krannert Study Abroad: Krannert is dedicated to making study abroad an integral part of the academic experience and easy as possible for every interested student. Some of the preferred options are: Department led summer program at Guanghua School of Management, Peking University, Beijing, China ; Semester or summer exchange program at the City University of Hong Kong , Honk Kong; Semester exchange program at National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan; Semester or 2 semesters at Queensland University of Technology Exchange & Study Australia; Purdue Administered Sydney Summer Internship; plus more..
- Experiential Learning Initiative: The cornerstone of ELI is the Management Projects course. Offered every semester, this 16 week course involves teams of 4-5 students working for 10-15 hours a week on consulting projects. Students enrolled in the course receive classroom preparation on a variety of topics, including project and team management, library and database resources, client relationship management, and the management consulting process. The sponsoring companies provide senior executive-level sponsorship of the projects and commitment of their personnel’s time and organizational resources to support the student teams.
- Global Supply Chain Management Initiative: The Global Supply Chain Management Initiative gives current and future managers the opportunity to be on the forefront of emerging ideas and technologies that promise to provide a differentiating advantage to businesses in the future. This initiative offers a broad-based, global approach to taking your business skills global through a variety of programs.
- Graduate Career Services: Graduate Career Services (GCS) maximizes opportunity for students, alumni, and employers. GCS serves as a comprehensive career center by providing individual counseling, job search resources, and on-campus recruiting services. The programs aim to assist students in planning and decision-making, empowering them to achieve their goals.
- Housing & Food Services: Purdue's division of Housing and Food Services proudly provides campus hospitality to its many and varied customers. In support of the University's mission of offering learning, discovery and engagement, Housing and Food Services fosters an environment conducive to maximizing the campus experience. These self-supporting, customer focused operations maintain a local and national reputation of excellence for their management practices, financial viability and customer satisfaction.