Logistics & Supply Chain Management Education and Maritime Security & Licensing Training at the School of Business & Florida Security Institute (FSI)
Florida State College at Jacksonville (FSCJ) is a State College in Jacksonville, and part of the system Florida College. College has four campuses and many others throughout the coastal area, and currently has registered more than 80,000 students, making it the second largest state institution in Florida. Florida State College’s School of Business provides an array of high-demand business tracks to springboard you into your ideal career path. Whether you decide to pursue a bachelor’s degree, associate degree or technical certificate, the school offers versatile courses of study and specializations to suit your goals, schedule and budget.
The Florida Security Institute (FSI) was established in 2004. Since its founding, the FSI has developed and currently offers a range of maritime security and maritime licensing courses to meet the specific needs of the community in accordance with Federal, International and professional guidelines. The maritime security courses are certified by either the US Coast Guard or Federal Maritime Administration and train Vessel, Company and Facility Security Officers, as well as provide critical security awareness courses for non security personell.
Florida State College recently formed a partnership with the Chesapeake Marine Training Institute (CMTI), located in Hayes, Virginia, in order to offer US Coast Guard (USCG) approved maritime license training courses. The partnership was developed in response to workforce development needs of employers, and the training will be conducted by USCG approved College instructors who will use CMTI USCG approved courses via traditional classroom delivery. Completion of specific courses may result in merchant marine licensure, and internally articulated college credit may be applied toward the College’s Associate of Science degree in Industrial Management Technology.
- AS Degree in Supply Chain Management: This Supply Chain Management program prepares students for employment or advancement in this growing industry with a strong demand for qualified professionals. This program prepares students for careers that involve precise coordination of land, sea and air transportation. The course selections are designed to meet the needs of employers, including skills in logistics, computer applications, teamwork and communications.
- Technical Certificate in Logistics and Transportation Specialist: The Logistics and Transportation Specialist certificate provides the foundational skills needed to be prepared for employment in logistics, warehousing, and transportation positions. The demand for logistics and transportation professionals is expected to be strong for years to come, and this program will assist in developing the skills needed to enter this growing and vibrant industry.
Maritime Security & Licensing Programs
- Maritime Security Awareness: This 4-hour course establishes the knowledge required for all personnel who are not assigned specific security duties but are involved in the work of ports, facilities, and vessels.
- Maritime Security for Military, First Responder and Law Enforcement Personnel: This 19-hour course provides the knowledge required for military, first responder and law enforcement personnel without prior maritime background to conduct their duties aboard vessels, in facilities and elsewhere in the marine environment.
- Combined Vessel Security Officer (VSO) /Company Security Officer (CSO) /Facility Security Officer (FSO): This 24-hour course provides the knowledge for those individuals who will assume responsibilities /perform duties of a Vessel Security Officer, a Company Security Officer or a Facility Security Officer.
- Combined Maritime Security for Vessel and Facility Personnel with Specific Security Duties: This 10-hour course offers the knowledge required for vessel /facility personnel who are assigned specific security duties in connection with a Vessel Security Plan or a Facility Security Plan.
- Seaport Security Officer (SSO): The 220-hour NO-COST course, Seaport Security Officer (CWO-TBD /MS-220), prepares students for employment as Seaport Security Officers in Florida and elsewhere. It is offered both during the daytime as well as the evening to meet the scheduling needs of all interested individuals. Please note that a minimum of eight course participants is required before any course will be scheduled.
The mission of Florida State College at Jacksonville is to provide optimal access to high quality, affordable and relevant degree, career and community education to enhance the lives of our students and the economic development of Northeast Florida. Florida State College at Jacksonville is a values-driven institution of higher education committed to ensuring that every student has an extraordinarily positive overall experience.
- Campus: The Downtown Campus is centrally located in the heart of Jacksonville on West State Street. It is easily accesible by bus and the skyway station. Because of its unique programs and convenient location, students are attracted to the Downtown Campus from all areas of the city. Jacksonville is one of the largest city in terms population and land area and part of the Florida state.
- Accreditation: Florida State College is a division of Florida State College at Jacksonville. Florida State College at Jacksonville is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award the baccalaureate and associate degree.
- Job Training Grant: Florida State College at Jacksonville has been named one of only 72 community colleges in the country to be awarded a million President’s Community-based Job Training Grant out of a total 5 million nationwide.
- Rankings: Florida State College at Jacksonville ranks fifth in associate degrees awarded in Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities by Community College Week in June 2010
- Student Success: More than 5,800 students earned bachelor or associate degrees or certificates in 2009 – 2010, up from 5,600 in 2008 – 2009. GED and Adult High School graduates at Florida State College at Jacksonville totaled more than 2,070 in 2009 – 2010, up from 1,400 for 2008 – 2009.