Transport & Logistics Management; Transport & Maritime Management; and Transport & Maritime Economics Education at ITMMA
The University of Antwerp (Universiteit Antwerpen - UA) is one of the major Belgian universities located in the city of Antwerp and characterized by its high standards in education, internationally competitive research and entrepreneurial approach. The university has about 13.000 students, which makes it the third largest university in Flanders, with 1,800 international students. The University has 4 campuses situated in the historic city center of Antwerp and in the green belt to the south of the city.
Founded in 2003, the university was created after the merger of three university institutions previously known as RUCA, UFSIA and UIA and the roots go back to 1852. The University of Antwerp forms the backbone of the Antwerp University Association (AUHA) a strategic collaboration with four.
The Institute of Transport and Maritime Management Antwerp (ITMMA) of the University of Antwerp is one of the world’s premier suppliers of highly specialized academic and practice-based maritime and logistics education and research. Our activities include M.Sc. programs, a Ph.D. program, short-term courses and tailor-made post-experience programs, research and publications and trend-setting events and conferences.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Transport and Logistics Management (Pg.Dip.TLM) - 1 year: The program in Transport and Logistics Management is a post-experience program for middle-management transport and logistics professionals and high-potential students with a background in business studies wanting to increase their knowledge of the specialist areas of transport and logistics management. The main objective of this program is to provide participants with state-of-the-art know-how and know-who in the field of transport, logistics and the maritime industry and to enable each participant to apply and master the business skills offered in the various courses.
- MSc in Transport and Maritime Management (MTMM) - 1 year: The MSc program aims to prepare its graduates for the challenges transport companies are faced with today. As such, it enables people in the transport sector to upgrade their technical knowledge and abilities through state-of-the-art specialist courses, combined with general management training. The program employs a wide variety of teaching methods and styles designed to create a challenging and stimulating learning environment including structured lecture programs, seminars, case studies, project work, talks by eminent external speakers and visits to organizations who are leading the way forward in the practice of managing and planning transportation systems.
- MSc in Transport and Maritime Economics (MTME) - 1 year: MTME student has a thorough knowledge of research methodology, quantitative and qualitative research methodology, advanced industrial economics and game theory applied to the transport and maritime sector, the organization of the shipping industry, strategic port planning and port marketing, port management, port policy, supply chain management, ICT and risk management, strategic management, and additional related issues. MTME is a doctoral program in fact, leading to a PhD in Transport and Maritime Economics is intended for young university/college graduates and provides a high purposive scientific training that is needed to do scientific research in the field of transport economics and maritime management. Work experience is not an entry requirement for the MTME program.
- PhD in Transport and Maritime Economics: The program offers a thorough scientific training in the field of transport and maritime economics combined with specific management training. The PhD students will work and study in an institute where education, research and practical knowledge are closely linked. They will be introduced to a vast number of national and international experts, who are in close touch with ITMMA (e.g. guest lecturers). The special relationship that ITMMA has with numerous transport and maritime companies will allow the students to test their scientific knowledge against daily practice. These elements will guarantee that ITMMA will turn out high quality PhDs.
These programs are announced from time to time. A sample list of past programs conducted at ITMMA is given below:
- Shipping, Maritime Safety and Port Security
- Terminal Management
- Warehouse and distribution management
- Hinterland Transportation
- Public Private Partnerships in Ports. Structures, Pricing, Funding and Performance Measurement
- Techniques of International Trade and Transport
Pg. Dip. in Transport & Logistics Management
- The basic entry requirement for the program is a first university or college degree OR extensive work experience, preferably in transport, logistics or supply chain functions. English language requirement such as IELTS 6.5 is required for certain nationalities.
MSc in Transport & Maritime Management (MTMM)
- One of the basic entry requirements for the MTMM program is a university or college degree (of a 4-year minimum full-time program) in a relevant subject (applied economics, law, commercial or civil engineering, commercial sciences, political sciences, maritime sciences or nautical sciences). Selection criteria include relevant work experience (preferably 3 years minimum) and career objectives. Candidates who do not hold one of the above-mentioned degrees, but who hold another university and/or college degree in another discipline can be admitted, provided that they have an extensive professional experience of at least 5 years.
MSc /PhD in Transport and Maritime Economics (MTME)
- One of the basic entry requirements for the M.Sc. in Transport and Maritime Economics (MTME) is a university or college degree (of a 4-year minimum full-time program) in a relevant subject, with an overall mark of ‘cum laude’ or ‘distinction’ (i.e. some 70%). Work experience is not an entry requirement.