Marine & Nautical Engineering; Intermodal Transportation; Logistics & Supply Chain Management; and Shipping Business Programs
Founded in 1769, The Barcelona School of Nautical Studies (FNB) is the oldest maritime and nautical educational institution in Spain. It offers an appealing array of courses and an ideal environment for learning. The school is an ISO 9001:2000 approved institution due to its high quality academic quality standards. Following completion of your degree, you have access to a wide variety of continuing education activities, including specialization courses, maritime protection courses and various postgraduate courses.
Universitat Politècnica De Catalunya (Polytechnic University of Catalonia - UPC) is a public institution dedicated to research and higher education, specialized in the fields of architecture, science and engineering. The university is engaged in intense research activity and provides students with an outstanding education and, also transfer technology and knowledge to companies and society.
The school offers exchange programs in collaboration with the Universitá degli Studi di Genova (Italy), Maritime University of Szczecin (Poland), Vestfold University College (Norway), Haugesund University College (Norway) and Antwerp Maritime Academy (Belgium). Its affiliate schools are located in Barcelona, Castelldefels, Igualada, Manresa, Mataró, Sant Cugat del Vallès, Terrassa and Vilanova i la Geltrú.
Bachelors Degree Programs
- Bachelor’s degree in Marine Engineering (Barcelona FNB - 4 years): The bachelor’s degree in Marine Engineering will qualify you to work as an engineer officer in the merchant marine. You will also be qualified to hold technical and management positions at thermal and nuclear plants and at shipyards and naval engineering companies. Among many other options, you will be able to pursue a career as the head of maintenance of maritime and industrial installations, a maritime authority inspector, a safety and pollution officer, a recreational vessel inspector or an average adjuster. This is a 240 credits program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nautical Engineering and Maritime Transport (Barcelona FNB - 4 years): The bachelor’s degree in Nautical Engineering and Maritime Transport will qualify you to work as a merchant marine pilot. Career prospects include marina management, ship and fishing vessel inspection services, maritime traffic control, expert legal consultation, consignment, safety inspection services and other management tasks at ports and stevedoring companies. This is a 240 credits program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering and Naval Technology (Barcelona FNB - 4 years): If you pursue the bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering and Naval Technology, which will qualify you to practice as a technical naval engineer, you will be trained as an engineer specialized in ship systems and propulsion. You will be able to hold technical positions at shipyards and shipbuilding companies or manage the maintenance of maritime and industrial installations. Among other options, you will also be prepared to pursue a career as a maritime inspector, a safety and pollution officer, a recreational vessel inspector or an average adjuster. This is a 240 credits program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nautical Studies and Maritime Transport (Barcelona FNB - 2 years): This is a 150 credit second cycle degree program. (One credit is equivalent to a study load of 25 – 30 hours).
- Bachelor’s degree in Naval Engineering (Barcelona FNB): This is a 150 credits second cycle degree program.
Masters Degree Programs
- Erasmus Mundus Master in Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management CoMEM (2 years, 120 ECTS Program Taught in English): This course trains future scientists and engineers to take on responsibilities in coastal improvement projects and management roles in marine engineering. First and second semesters will be at Delft University of Technology, Netherlands and Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway. Third semester, choose between Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Spain, University of Southampton, United Kingdom or, City University, United Kingdom. And the Last semester, any of the universities within the consortium in which the student has studied.
- Executive Master’s Degree in Supply Chain Management (1 year - Spanish Program): This Executive Master’s course in Supply Management offers high level training and is oriented towards practical applications for businesses. This course is a gourmet product that, as a differentiating element, offers first rate speakers, logistics directors from some of the most important companies in the sector and professors specialized in logistics from the University of Cranfield (United Kingdom) and the Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña (UPC). This master’s course also boasts strategic partners like Accenture and other corporate sponsors.
- Master’s Degree in Intermodal Transport of Merchandise (60 ECTS - Distance Program Taught in Spanish or Catalan): This postgraduate course fills the educational void that exists in this area and teaches participants about the possibilities, advantages and business opportunities that the current transport system has to offer. The effectiveness and positive effects of intermodal merchandise transport is an important factor in reducing logistics costs and increasing socioeconomic development. The competitiveness of our companies depends, in large part, on the existence of highly qualified professionals in this field.
- Master’s Degree Program in Shipping Business (1 year Full Time –Taught in Spanish or Catalan): This postgraduate program is aimed at people with Degree in Law, Senior Naval Architect, Marine Engineer, and Graduate in Economics, Diploma in Business, Civil Engineer, Canals and Ports, Bachelor of Nautical and Maritime Transport, Bachelor and Diploma in Marine Engineering Diploma in Shipping, etc,
- Postgraduate Diploma in Integrated Logistics & Supply Chain Management (6 – 7 months Part Time - Spanish): This 25 ECTS course provides professionals with the ability to design, manage and apply integrated logistics chains to companies, distribution systems and logistics operators. Participants will deal with subjects that develop participants’ personal abilities to present this integrated view of companies’ everyday logistics issues.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Intermodal Transportation in Port and Rail Terminals (Taught in Spanish or Catalan): This 38 ECTS program helps understand the organization and structure of transportation markets; optimize the management of merchandise mobility in the logistics chain; give favor to the promotion, design, financing and use of the corridors and nodes of modal exchange: port and rail terminals, air freight loading zones, transportation centers and logistics platforms; and, evaluate business opportunities and competitive advantages that intermodal transportation provides in comparison to other uni-modal systems.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Intermodal Transportation in Road Transport Centers and Air Freight Distribution Terminals (Taught in Spanish or Catalan): This 38 ECTS program helps define the main concepts and principles involved in intermodal transportation such as the structure and organization of transport markets; Offer a systematic view of airports and an analysis of cargo terminals as a sub-system; Study the parties involved in the air freight industry and analyze the value chain, the value network and airline companies, ground assistance, routes and stop-over; and Analyze the design, financing and use of transport centers and logistics platforms.