Master Mariner; STCW; Watchkeeping Officer & Engineering; Radio-Technical; and Cargo Management Training
Founded in 1813, Aboa Mare (formerly Sydvast Maritime) has long traditions in Maritime Education in Turku. Today Aboa Mare trains Master Mariners and Marine Engineers at Novia University of Applied Sciences and watchkeeping officers and watchkeeping engineers at Axxell.
In addition to the degree-oriented education, Aboa Mare also arranges weekend courses on which you can study to become a boatmaster, skipper in domestic traffic or engine attendant. In addition to this, Aboa Mare arranges a variety of continuing education courses for professional seafarers, boaters and other interested parties.
Aboa Mare has ship simulators in Turku and Espoo. Certain parts of the education are carried out together with, Meriturva, Wärtsilä and the Maritime Safety Center. In order to be able to offer a wide range of courses and satisfy the needs of the clients, Aboa Mare has created a large network of experts on diverse fields within seafaring, able to teach a large variety of courses and all STCW-courses. In addition to STCW-courses Aboa Mare offers a large number of continuing-education courses, which update and add to your skills and preparedness.
Novia University of Applied Sciences Programs
- Master Mariner - Maritime Management (English)
- Master Mariner (Swedish)
- Marine Engineer (Swedish)
As a master mariner you can work as a highest-ranking officer on both Finnish and foreign merchant vessels. The maritime field is full of opportunities on different types of vessels and in all parts of the world. The industry offers an interesting work environment also after a career at sea.
Marine engineers work as the highest-ranking engine officers on both Finnish and foreign vessels. The studies also give proficiency to work in various inspection, expert, planning and management positions for the industry. In addition to this, persons with engineering training work can work in a managerial capacity for the Finnish Defence Forces.
- Watchkeeping Officer (Swedish)
- Watchkeeping Engineer (Swedish)
- GOC (General Operator´s Certificate), 10 days
- GOC/GMDSS refreshment, 1 day
- ROC (Restricted Operator´s Certificate), 5 days
- SRC (Short Range Certificate), 2 days
Cargo Management Programs
- BTTP-Tanker Familiarization, 2 days
- CTTP-Advanced Chemical Tanker Course, 5 days
- OTTP-Advanced Tanker Course, 4 days
- IMDG, 5 days
Medical Aid Programs
- Elementary First Aid (STCW A-VI/1-3), 2 days
- Medical Care Person-In-Charge Course (STCW A-VI/4-2)
- Medical First Aid Provider Course (STCW A-VI/4-1)