Maritime, Port & Transport Management; International Trade & Logistics; Maritime Operations; and Marine & Offshore Engineering Education
Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) has a heritage dating back to 1825. It is the 10th largest UK University with over 24,000 students in Liverpool and a further 4,500 overseas. Over 80 countries are represented in LJMU’s student population. LJMU was awarded the 2005 Queen's Anniversary Prize for Further and Higher Education, the highest honor a British university can achieve.
LJMU is one of the leading research-active contemporary universities in the UK with the recent RAE2008 results confirming World-leading and internationally-excellent research quality right across the Institution. LJMU is also one of the top universities in the UK for links with business and industry. It is a leading university for entrepreneurship training and support for graduate start-up businesses.
LJMU has introduced a globally unique model of Higher Education, called WOW® or World of Work. WoW’s emphasis on work-related learning, skills development and employer engagement means that LJMU graduates are becoming some of the most sought after in the UK and overseas, equipped as they are with the real world’ skills that employers value and/or the knowhow to establish their own businesses.
Undergraduate Programs (Merchant Shipping)
- FdSc Nautical Science Foundation Degree (1 year full-time leading on to a 3/4 year BSc): The content of the foundation degree course provides the industry-approved knowledge for a deck officer and Captain of a commercial ship. The course is designed to be integrated with professional short courses and twelve months training at sea so that, after three years, the successful student will have obtained not only a foundation degree but also a UK Department of Transport Officer of Watch (OOW) certificate. This is the fastest way for a new entrant to acquire the OOW certificate.
- BSc / BSc (Hons) in Nautical Science (4 years, including periods of work based learning at sea): The BSc Nautical Science degree is the first step towards being a Captain on a cruise liner taking passengers around the world or navigating a 500,000 tonne merchant ship. The content of the degree course provides the industry approved knowledge for a deck officer and Captain of a commercial ship. The course is designed to be integrated with professional short courses and 12 months training at sea so that, after four years, the successful student will have obtained not only an honours degree but also a UK Department of Transport Officer of Watch (OOW) certificate.
Undergraduate Programs (Maritime/Transport/Logistics)
- International Foundation Year (1 year): The International Foundation Year fully prepares international and EU students for degree study at LJMU within three terms, through teaching a range of academic subjects, study skills and English Language training.The Foundation Year at LJMU ISC currently offers two routes, namely, Business, Law & Social Studies and Engineering, Computing & Life Sciences. There are five core modules common to each route, and five specific modules, each carefully designed to focus on the academic areas most useful to your chosen degree.
- BSc / BSc (Hons) in Management, Transport and Logistics (3 years full time or 4 years with one year spent on industrial placement): LJMU’s well-established degree in Management, Transport and Logistics has a proven track record of producing graduates well suited to move rapidly into positions of responsibility within the sector. The three year program introduces students to the Transport and Logistics discipline and builds up expertise to produce graduates who are highly sought after within the jobs market. As well as the core academic principles, the program places a strong emphasis upon developing transferable skills.
- BSc / BSc (Hons) in Maritime Business and Management (3 years full time or 4 years with one year spent on industrial placement): The BSc in Maritime Business and Management is designed, and taught, by leading academics in the field. The program develops a broad range of both theoretical knowledge and practical skills with the aim of helping graduates to succeed in their chosen career.
- BSc / BSc (Hons) in Maritime Studies (3 years full time or 4 years with one year spent on industrial placement): The Maritime Studies program provides the basic underpinning knowledge to enter shore-based shipping careers at the management trainee level. There are a large number of optional subjects allowing students to customize their course to those areas in which they have the most interest. As well as the core academic principles, the program places a strong emphasis upon developing transferable skills.
- BSc / BSc (Hons) in Port and Maritime Management (3 years full time or 4 years with one year spent on industrial placement): The program offered at LJMU is unique in providing the comprehensive skills and knowledge that is specifically relevant to the international ports industry. Strong links have been built with companies and international organizations in the ports sector and other maritime industries, resulting in mutually beneficial collaborations. Thus, whilst ensuring the development of students’ knowledge and understanding within this specialized area, the course has also been designed to suit the needs of local, national and international employers.
Masters Programs (Engineering)
- MSc Marine and Offshore Engineering (1 Year Full Time, 2 Years Part Time): This MSc program in Marine and Offshore Engineering provides a progression point from undergraduate programs in the area of mechanical and marine engineering. It is supported by research activities of national and international significance in the areas of Marine and Offshore Engineering, Engineering Design and Materials, Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Precision Measurement.
Masters Programs (Maritime/Transport/Logistics)
- MSc in International Transport, Trade and Logistics (1 Year Full Time, 2 Years Part Time): International trade is one of the biggest sectors of the global economy and it is taking on even greater importance with the development of burgeoning economies that are taking responsibility for the manufacturing sector. You will complete the following modules as part of the program: International Trade, Transport and Logistics; Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management; International Transport Systems; Maritime and Trade Law; Operational Research and Information Technology; and Research Methods.
- MSc in Maritime Operations (1 Year Full Time, 2 Years Part Time): MSc Maritime Operations is a dynamic, contemporary program designed to meet the ever changing needs of the Maritime industry. The program takes a strategic perspective of the industry and aims to furnish graduates with the skills required to secure positions at the highest level within this highly competitive worldwide industry.
- MSc in Port Management (1 Year Full Time, 2 Years Part Time): The MSc Port Management has been designed with the help of professionals within Peel Ports which is one of the largest Port Operators in the UK owning the Ports of Liverpool and Manchester as well as Medway Ports and Clyde Port. Graduates from the course will be able to move into Port management worldwide as the program covers the detail of container and bulk port operations at a postgraduate level as well as the personnel issues ensuing from the management of port labor.
- MSc/ PGDip/PGCert/ CPD Maritime Operations (Athens/Piraeus Part Time): The distance taught program is aimed at people working in the shipping, ports and marine and offshore engineering industries in and around the Athens/Piraeus area. All teaching is provided by staff from Liverpool John Moores University, with each module typically being delivered over a one week period on Saturday and Sunday.
LIVERPOOL JOHN MOORES Features
LJMU is a vibrant university located at the heart of one of the UK’s most exciting cities. Awarded the European Capital of Culture 2008 in recognition of its rich history and cultural standing, Liverpool continues to go from strength to strength. With world class architecture and more listed buildings than any city outside London, Liverpool was awarded UNESCO World Heritage status in 2004. These inspiring surroundings are juxtaposed with Liverpool’s visible investment in an exciting future, as new developments and award winning structures reshape the city’s skyline
- Campus: LJMU is located at Liverpool, just 178 miles (286 km) from London and easily accessible by road and other modes of transport.
- Accreditation: LJMU is a public university and UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. Many of the programs are recognized/Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers; the British International Freight Association, the Nautical Institute, the Institute of Export, the Chartered Institute of Insurance and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
- Earn While You Learn: International student can work part time for up to 20 hours a week during each semester (subject to any visa restrictions) and for an unlimited time during vacations whilst at LJMU. The Workbank provides a free service to all LJMU students. They are easily located and based within the Students' Union, and will help you to find a wide range of suitable, paid employment opportunities.
- Professional Skills and Experience: As part of your degree studies you will also have the opportunity to become expert in up to eight graduate skills. These have been identified by LJMU in collaboration with employers as being applicable to a wide variety of professions and careers.
- Centre for Entrepreneurship: LJMU has established a dedicated Centre for Entrepreneurship to support students and graduates who want to set up their own businesses. Competition to win one of the Enterprise Fellowships is increasing year on year. That’s not surprising because successful candidates receive a bursary of £1,500 a year plus expert training and advice on how to write an effective business plan and much more.
- Housing: For most new students, the best option in your first year at university is a bedroom in purpose-built student accommodation in Liverpool city-centre. LJMU has 3,500 bedrooms of this type and hence able to guarantee a bedroom to all new students who request one.