CAL MARITIME | CALIFORNIA MARITIME ACADEMY AT VALLEJO | MERCHANT MARINE, TRANSPORT & ENGINEERING PROGRAMS
MARINE TRANSPORTATION, LOGISTICS & ENGINEERING AT CAL MARITIME - A CAMPUS OF CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY
Located in Vallejo, California, The California Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) is a unique and specialized campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system. Cal Maritime is one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States — and the only one on the West Coast. In 2008 the U.S. News and World Report ranked Cal Maritime as the 6th best Baccalaureate College on the West Coast.
The California Maritime Academy’s waterside campus on the northern end of San Francisco Bay is tucked into a quiet cove with ever-changing views of the ever-changing maritime world. This world is much more than operating commercial ships; it is a global economic force linking with various modes of transportation to get commodities and people from point A to point B. Operating this global enterprise requires engineers, business leaders, port managers, deck officers, environmental advocates, maritime security consultants, etc. Cal Maritime produces professionals in these and other areas related to the ocean as a resource and an engine for a global economy.
With an active career center, finding a great job, internship or getting the Co-op of your dreams is all within reach. The center strives to do everything possible to help you meet your needs.
Each of the six bachelors degrees (majors) focuses on a different aspect of the little-known but dynamic maritime industry and related careers on land or at sea.
Undergraduate Programs (4 years)
- BS Degree in Business Administration emphasis on International Business and Logistics: Preparation for careers in international maritime business and global logistics. Theoretical foundation of knowledge and practical level of experiential learning. One multi-week, study-abroad experience and one co-op.
- BS Degree in Facilities Engineering Technology: Preparation for careers designing, operating and maintaining land-based physical plants, power generation, and engineering systems.Practical experience, including simulators, coupled with theoretical background. One training cruise and two co-ops
- BS Degree in Marine Engineering Technology: U.S. Coast Guard license – Third Assistant Engineer. Preparation for operating and maintaining engineering systems on a ship as a licensed engineering officer. Practical experience, including simulators, coupled with math and science coursework. Three training cruises. May participate in U.S. Navy or U.S. Coast Guard programs leading to a reserve officer’s commission
- BS Degree in Marine Transportation: U.S. Coast Guard license – Third Mate. Preparation for work on a ship as a licensed deck officer. Includes academic breadth, simulator experience, and technical expertise. Three training cruises. May participate in U.S. Navy or U.S. Coast Guard programs leading to a reserve officer’s commission.
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering: Preparation for research, design, development, and evaluation of engineering systems. Math and science intensive and hands-on experiences. Combination of training cruises and co-ops. May participate in U.S. Navy or U.S. Coast Guard programs leading to a reserve officer’s commission.
- BA Degree in Global Studies and Maritime Affairs: Preparation for careers in maritime security (port security, vessel piracy, and maritime terrorism), maritime trade and economics, maritime environmental policy, and maritime law. Internationally focussed coursework, internships, and study abroad opportunities. One two-month training cruise on the Training Ship Golden Bear ( or one multi-week, study-abroad experience) and one co-op.
- Master of Science (MS) in Transportation and Engineering Management
- An advanced course of study in business and management fundamentals combined with specialized preparation for career advancement in Engineering, Transportation, or Humanitarian/Crisis Management.
- Developed and delivered in close collaboration with business and industry the curriculum provides a mix of cutting-edge theory and creative real-world applications to prepare students to succeed in a challenging and changing global market. Students will tackle case studies and simulations throughout the program. The curriculum culminates in a Capstone project, where students synthesize their learning by addressing a pressing real-world organizational issue.
- You can complete your graduate degree in as little as 20 months.
- Every student has the opportunity to choose one of three specializations within the program. Your studies will be customized to your interests and career goals.
Online: The program including lectures, special presentations, discussion groups, assignments, group work and reading materials are completely on line. You can attend class anytime 24/7 from anywhere in the world helping you to fit learning into your busy life and stay on track.
Target Audience: Mid-career professionals in maritime and related fields who wish to further their education and employment opportunities, with a particular emphasis on those wishing to make a transition from sea to shore. Highly motivated students coming directly from undergraduate studies will be considered as well.
CAL MARITIME | CALIFORNIA MARITIME ACADEMY AT VALLEJO | MERCHANT MARINE, TRANSPORT & ENGINEERING PROGRAMS - 4.7 out of